Looking for an exciting, fast-paced team activity?
Laser tag is an adrenaline-pumping experience that combines physical activity with competitive strategy. Players attempt to score points by tagging opponents with harmless infrared beams while avoiding getting hit themselves.
This beginner’s guide will provide everything you need to know to dive into the world of laser tag, from basic rules and equipment to tips for dominating the arena. After learning how to play laser tag from these step-by-step instructions, you’ll be ready to join in the fun and laser battle like a pro. Let’s get started!
What is Laser Tag?
Laser tag is a game where players try to score points by tagging opponents with infrared beams emitted from hand-held ray guns. The guns register hits from opponents and keep track of players’ scores. When the beam hits the sensor worn by another player, the hit registers and points are awarded.
Laser tag differs from paintball in several key ways:
- The infrared laser beams are entirely harmless and leave no mess or marks on equipment, clothing, or skin.
- The indoor arena provides a unique atmosphere full of adrenaline and excitement.
- Special lighting and music enhances the experience and gameplay.
- The guns provide realistic recoil and sounds, but with zero risk of injury.
With emphasis on fun and safety, laser tag offers action-packed thrills for all ages and abilities! Now let’s cover the basics of how to play.
How to Play Laser Tag: Rules and Equipment
While specific rules vary between venues, laser tag games generally follow common guidelines:
- Players are split into teams, alternating between offense and defense.
- The objective is to score the most points by tagging opponents.
- Hits to the sensor count as points. Hits to guns do not.
- Games last 8-15 minutes, with unlimited respawning.
- No physical contact between players is allowed.
The key pieces of equipment are:
- Laser tag gun – Emits harmless infrared beams and registers hits. Features include recoil, lights, and sounds for realism.
- Sensor vest/helmet (Sun band) – Registers hits and lights up when tagged. Usually worn on head or chest.
- Arena – A maze-like arena with walls, ramps, towers, and bases. May include backlights, music, and special effects.
Now let’s get into playing laser tag!
How to Play Laser Tag?
Playing laser tag is easy and accessible for everyone. Just follow these steps:
- Pick a cool code name to go by during the game.
- Select your laser tag gun and make sure it fits comfortably in your hands.
- Put on your sensor vest or helmet (Sun band). Make sure it’s secure but not too tight.
- Enter the arena when the operator gives the go-ahead.
- Keep your pointer finger on the trigger at all times. Be ready to fire!
- Aim down the barrel of the gun to improve accuracy at longer distances.
- Half-press the trigger to activate the laser beam. Fully pull it to fire a tag burst.
- Pace your shots – don’t hold the trigger down continuously or your gun may pause to recharge.
- Avoid hitting opponents’ guns. Only hits on the sensor count!
- Reload by pumping or cocking your gun depending on the model.
- Constantly stay on the move to make yourself a harder target.
- Use walls and barriers inside the arena as cover. Lean out to shoot from protection.
- Communicate with teammates to coordinate your fire, movements, and game plan.
- Listen for opponents’ footsteps and shooting to prevent ambushes.
- Keep an eye on your Sunband’s display to see who hits you and from what direction.
With practice you’ll quickly improve your laser tag skills. Now let’s go over some pro tips and tricks.
How to Play Laser Tag: Tips for Success
Want to dominate in the laser tag arena? Apply these key tips for success:
- Aim practice – Hone your aim on stationary and moving targets. Go for quick, accurate snap shooting.
- Communication – Constant vocal coordination with teammates gives a major advantage.
- Use cover – Never leave yourself totally exposed. Dodge between barriers.
- Flank – Approach distracted opponents from the side or behind.
- Ambush – Hide and draw players into close-range attacks.
- Defend base – Protecting your home base prevents the opposing team from scoring.
- Stay low – Crouching improves stability and makes you a smaller target to hit.
- Keep moving– Be an elusive target by constantly circling the arena.
Mastering laser tag combat takes practice, but these tips will get you on your way to total arena domination in no time!
Conclusion: How to Play Laser Tag?
Laser tag provides an immersive blast of competitive action perfect for players of all types and skill levels. With basic training in laser tag equipment, shooting, team tactics, and pro tips, you will excel in the arena. Grab your friends and family and unleash your inner commando in the exciting world of laser tag. Take your game to the next level with the strategies in this guide. Now get out there and start tagging!
To continue learning and improving your laser tag skills, check out these helpful resources:
- Beginner’s Guide to Laser Tag – Laser Tag Info tutorial
- Laser Tag Academy – Drills, tips and gear reviews
- Professional Laser Tag Associations – Join competitive teams and events
- Find Laser Tag Near You – Locate laser tag arenas in your area
- Laser Tag Gear – Purchase your own equipment
- Laser Tag Forum – Discuss and learn with fellow enthusiasts
Follow these tips and you’ll be a laser tag pro in no time! Now get out there and bring your A-game to the arena. Happy tagging!